Wednesday, March 23, 2011

5th Character - Preview

For the online publication 5th Character, I will be using the shapes of masks and headdresses from cultures throughout the world (one of which will include Mongolian) that can be regarded as extensions of the body and are often intended to increase the importance of a person. Through drawing inspiration from the past to create my own headdresses constructed with wire and card and then built upon with the use of cut up and collaged body parts, I will be presenting a form of future body.

I've very nearly finished the first headdress/mask after hours of cutting and sticking! I tried to stay quite true to the original Mongolian designs when it comes to shape and I've began to think about the rest of the shoot in terms of styling and make up. I think some kind of shoulder padding will be required both to ensure a visual link to my inspiration and to act as another way of distorting the body, especially if the clothing is all a nude colour. As you can see the piece is not quite ready, the tubes that hang from the 'ram horns' or 'elephant ears' have not been collaged onto yet. The inspiration for the design can be found here, a former post dedicated to Mongolia





No comments:

Post a Comment