Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cellar of Souls

On tuesday, Johnny Toaster presents: Menagerie was launched, as one of the featured artists I was there for the opening and took full advantage of the free champagne and nibbles! The graphic design company Johnny Toaster is running a series of these exhibitions, each with a two month run, at the Soul Cellar in central Southampton intended to showcase South based artists, illustrators and/or photographers. After the first show 'Draw!', 'Menagerie' follows an animalistic theme with all four artists and I including some kind of fauna in their work and they are:
The work I'm showing is from a Uni project that I have briefly mentioned before in an earlier post. In the first image 'The Hunter' I only used European, particularly English, animals to create the outfit as there's something I love about the patterns and colours of British wildlife and the fact it he is wearing these animals is a representation of ownership, a comment about the history of hunting and the variations that still take place for example that of gamebirds. The second image 'Indecent Apparel' carries the same message about ownership and power but in this case the animals I've used are at least listed as 'Vulnerable' on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. My other images on display are 'Leopard Print' and 'Crocodile Tears' and they can be seen here to save reposting them.





    No comments:

    Post a Comment