Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Showgirl

As previously mentioned, I've recently designed and constructed a headdress for use in a photoshoot directed by Lucy Barnes to be used as part of her final major project and on saturday the headpiece got it's time to shine! I'm pretty sure that whenever I need to get up early I never end up having an early night, so I was quite tired but the shoot was really successful and the location, Chesil Theatre - Winchester was ideal with it's lightbulb surrounded mirrors and authentic interiors. The tower is the most interesting part though where a series of dizzyingly steep steps led to collections of props, much like the Grange Park Opera does, with rows of old costumes, fur coats and quite a large collection of telephones! The team consisted of Lucy - director and make up artist, Kimmi Haslam - model, Danielle and Alysha - photographers, Joe - cameraman, Chloe - assistant and of course myself who had no specific task but I wanted to be there to see the headdress in action. The headdress itself is made from around 30 metres of wire though you can't really tell thanks to the feathers and I think that once I'm used to using wire maybe I won't require so much but the framework is pretty sturdy and better yet only cost £1. I wanted to use the wire in a way that would be slightly reminsicent of birds of paradise and their odd plumage designs with the loops of wire intended to resemble a mixture of species such as the Wilson's and Twelve-wired birds of paradise. During the shoot I took plenty of my own photos on my bridge camera, the results won't be as good as that taken on the DSLR but I'm still pretty pleased with them! I especially like the sunset feature which uses orange hues to bring a certain atmosphere to the imagery.



No comments:

Post a Comment